C. our body temperature will fall D. we will notice different smells 55. This passage is probably ________. A. a science report B. a news story C. a historical record D. an advertisement
“Hello.” — it is one of the first words we learn as babies, yet it’s one of the last ones we think to use as adults. That’s regrettable, because saying hello is more than just saying hello — it’s the respect of another’s worth. How might the world change — how might we change — if we have mastered this word? To find out, I spent one month saying hello to every person I met. Here’s what I’ve learnt.
It can improve productivity. In one of the few studies ever done on this subject, Allan Allday, an assistant professor of special education at Oklahoma State University, had middle school teachers greet their students individually each morning. This exchange of greetings raised the kid’s productivity. School went from impersonal to personal, and that led to more class participation（参与）and better grades.
Environments influence friendliness. One study found that people in the city were less likely to shake hands with a stranger than those in the countryside. And, researchers say, pleasant environments generally encourage more smiles and hellos than unpleasant ones. My experience was similar. Whatever the reason, my hellos in the city were answered far less often than the ones in the countryside. Similarly, people in vacation areas, like the Jersey Shore, were far more friendly than those hurrying to work downtown.
It’s a form of health insurance（保险）. It’s impossible to say hello without smiling. And smiling has been shown to lower blood pressure, lighten unpleasant feelings and improve happiness. It seems that saying hello creates a similar influence.
So maybe we can make the world a better place by saying hello. After a month of doing it, I feel lighter and more connected and I have a better sense of well-being.
56. What can we know from the first paragraph? A. People can say hello since they are born.
B. Saying hello is a way to show respect to others.
C. People lose the ability to say hello when they grow up. D. Saying hello is a way to change the world completely.
57. Which of the following is true according to the second paragraph? A. Students will get good grades by saying hello very often.
B. An assistant professor likes greeting his students every morning.
C. The teacher who often says hello to students is very popular at school. D. Kids will be more active in class by exchanging greetings with teachers.
58. From the passage, we learn that ________. A. smiles can take the place of hellos
B. people living in the city refuse to say hello
C. environments play a role in creating friendliness
D. having health insurance is more important than saying hello
59. The underlined word “well-being” in the last paragraph means ________. A. health and happiness B. comfort and quietness C. pride and confidence D. peace and hopefulness 71．学习一小时后休息一会儿对你的眼睛有好处。
______ your eyes to have a rest after one hour’s study. 72．他花了一年的时间准备这次考试，并且通过了。
It ______ to prepare for the exam and finally he passed it. 73．你能告诉李明尽快归还我的英语书吗？ ______ as soon as possible? 十、文段表达（15分）
74．某英文报纸就关爱老人(Caring for the Old) 话题征文，请你结合你的实际生活，谈谈自己的想法与做法，参加投稿。
提示词语：care for; respect; visit; call
22. A 23. C 24. D 25. D 26. B 27. B 28. A 29. D 30. C 31. C 32. B 33. D 34. B
35. C 36. A 37. D 38. A 39. B 40. A 41. C 42. B 43. C 44. C 45. D 46. B阅读理解（共44分） 三、阅读短文，选择最佳选项。（共26分，每小题2分）
47. D 48. B 49. C 50. A 51. B 52. D 53. C 54. C 55. A 56. B 57. D 58. C 59. A 四、阅读短文，还原句子。（共8分，每小题2分）
60. E 61. C 62. B 63. A 五、阅读短文，回答问题。（共10分，每小题2分）64. No. 65. In 2000.
66. They studied harder and behaved better. 67. The book The Essential 55.
68. Because he loves teaching and tries his best to influence the lives of all of
71. It’s good for 72. took him one year
73. Would you please tell Li Ming to give my English book back 七、文段表达 （15分）
74. One possible version:
In my opinion, we should respect and care for the old. It’s natural that everyone will be old one day, so taking good care of the old is taking care of
I’m not living with my grandparents, but I visit them once a week if possible. I often help them with some housework. Besides, I call to say hello to them when I have time. They are always happy to hear my voice. I think what they do need is our love.
I hope everyone can do something for the old. It’s our duty to make sure they live happily.
22. Becky Wang sings very well. ______ is Lingling’s favourite singer. A. She
23. The Spring Festival is coming. This year it comes _____ February 10. A. in B. on 24. Jack, you _____ keep quiet in the library. A. can
25. I’d like to play basketball with you, ______ I have to clean the classroom first. A. but B. and C. or D. so 26. Although Lin couldn’t see _______ after the accident, she didn’t give up hope. A. everything B. something C. nothing 27. Life of Pie by Li An is one of _____ films I have ever seen. A. great
B. greater C. greatest D. the greatest
28.—_______ is your home from your school? —Quite near. It’s about 10 minutes’ walk on foot.
A. How long
B. How often
C. How far
D. How many
29. Sam will catch up with others if he _______ hard enough.
A. works B. worked C. will work D. has worked 30. Tony’s father ____ Australia many times and he knows a lot about that country.
A. visits B. will visit C. visited D. has visited 31. —What were you doing when I called you at 4:00 yesterday afternoon? —Oh, sorry. I _____ a piano lesson at that time. A. had
B. was having
C. have had
32. Yesterday mum _______ a lot of tasty food for me. A. cooks B. was cooking
C. cooked D. has cooked
33. We are happy that two new chemistry labs ________ in our school next year. A. build
B. will build C. will be built D. was built
34. — Do you know ?
— Of course! The famous foreign basketball player in Beijing Jinyu Ducks. A. who is Stephon Marbury C. who was Stephon Marbury
One day, when I was in the 10th grade in high school, I saw a kid from my class walking home from school. His name was Kyle. It looked like he was carrying all of his 35 . I thought to myself, “Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday?” I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders(耸耸肩) and went on.
As I was walking, I saw some kids run at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping (绊倒) him, so he fell to the ground. His glasses went flying and I saw them 36 in the grass. He looked up and I saw terrible 37 in his eyes. My heart went out to him. As I 38 him his glasses, he looked at me and said, “Hey, thanks!” There was a big smile on his face.
I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where he lived. We 39 all the way home, and I carried some of his books. I asked him if he wanted to play 40 with my friends. He said yes. We played all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked him, and my friends thought the same of him.
B. who Stephon Marbury is D. who Stephon Marbury was